[ skip to content ]


Request for New I-20/DS-2019

This form is for all CURRENT F-1 or J-1 visa holders at Old Dominion
who are requesting a new I-20 or DS-2019 and any J scholars requesting an extension of their DS-2019.


REQUESTING A CHANGE OF STATUS? If you are on a NATO/A-2 visa, you must also update your home country address.

If requesting an I-20/DS-2019 for a change of status, will you apply to change in the U.S. or at a U.S. consulate overseas?

Does your SEVIS U.S. address match this address above?*

Current Visa Status*

Do you have dependents on your visa document?*

Do you have graduate assistantship (Administrative, Teaching, Research)?*

If "yes," who pays you?

What is the purpose of this request?*

IF YOU ARE A STUDENT REQUESTING AN EXTENSION OF YOUR CURRENT FORM: Extensions may not be processed until 30 days before your document expires. If you have a special circumstance where you may need your paperwork earlier than that, please contact VISA. Your document can be extended for a maximum of two semesters for Master's students and three for Bachelors and PhD students. Your electronic request must be followed up with two items:

1) financial documentation (assistantship letter, bank statement, etc.);

2) Recommendation for Extension of Visa Document ; the student portion is must be filled out online

For J scholars requesting an extension: Your supervisor or Primary Investigator must submit a letter on letterhead explaining the reason for the extension, the length of the extension and if any funding will be provided by ODU or ODURF.

Please select the option that describes your CURRENT academic program.