Old Dominion University
A to Z Index  |  Directories

Office of Academic Affairs

Faculty Handbook

 Search Handbook       

Drug-Free Workplace

The federal Drug-Free Workplace Act requires that faculty be informed that the unlawful or unauthorized manufacture, distribution, possession, or use of a controlled substance is prohibited in the workplace. The workplace consists of any state-owned, controlled, or leased property, or the site where state work is performed. Any employee who commits any prohibited act under this policy shall be subject to the full range of disciplinary actions, including discharge, and/or may be required to participate satisfactorily in an appropriate rehabilitation program. As a condition of employment, each employee must abide by the terms of this prohibition and notify his or her supervisor of any criminal drug statute conviction based upon conduct occurring either on or off the workplace no later than five days after such conviction.

           The State policy on alcohol and other drugs generally parallels the Drug-Free Workplace Act. The policy expands the federal act by addressing violations of any alcoholic beverage control law, or law which governs driving while intoxicated, based upon conduct occurring on the workplace.

           If there are any questions about this matter, please contact the Department of Human Resources.


Faculty and staff are expected to comply with State and federal law and state and university policies concerning alcohol and drugs. University sanctions for violating any of these policies or laws may include a warning through dismissal in accordance with the prescribed procedures. Faculty and faculty administrators are governed by the procedures in this Handbook. Violation of local, state, or federal law may also result in prosecution by the appropriate legal authorities.


Old Dominion University's complete Drug and Alcohol Policy may be found in the university's Policies and Procedures, #6603. Copies of the university's policy and the entire Commonwealth of Virginia's Policy on Alcohol and Other Drugs may be obtained by contacting the Department of Human Resources.

           For information regarding employee assistance programs and the university's health care programs' coverage for outside alcohol and drug treatment, contact the benefits manager in the Department of Human Resources at 683-4760.

           Referrals (management or self) for assistance will not jeopardize job security in any manner.

-Approved by the president
October 8, 1990


   Compare with: